Funnily enough I have discovered that not a lot of people read this blog, or if they do don't feel the need to comment. My clever daughter of Bam Bam fame found it by deduction, my husband thinks its another few seconds towards his total 15 minutes of fame and the male offspring is clearly disinterested; although I can understand what he is talking about alot clearer.
I do like to include at least one photograph in each blog, otherwise it would be really boring even to me.

Polio patients early 1960's
Given that it has been a big week history wise for me I thought I'd include a bit of my own personal story. This one is of polio patients at the Mount Eliza Childrens hospital which was set up originally for World War 2 returned soldiers. By the time I got there in the late 1960's it was for children who required long-term hospitalisation. I shared the long dormitory with children with a vast array of problems...spina biffida, cancer, down syndrome orphan twins. Third bed from the end was me with septic arthritis.
Before hospitals went through their own revolution in the 1970's, apart from the returned soldiers being replaced with 'crippled children' (yes that's what we were called) things were pretty much the same for twenty years or so. Daily we were wheeled out on the balcony to get the healing sun, sunburn was not uncommon nor of particular concern. I think I developed my good strong voice through yelling for nurses, no buzzers.
Between the ages of 7 and 12 I was in and out of hospital, operations,full plaster casts & skating around on a trolley inches from the ground, crutches, traction. In my last hip operation my hip was arthrodesed, and has been like that ever since. Given that it has been a big week history wise for me I thought I'd include a bit of my own personal story. This one is of polio patients at the Mount Eliza Childrens hospital which was set up originally for World War 2 returned soldiers. By the time I got there in the late 1960's it was for children who required long-term hospitalisation. I shared the long dormitory with children with a vast array of problems...spina biffida, cancer, down syndrome orphan twins. Third bed from the end was me with septic arthritis.
Before hospitals went through their own revolution in the 1970's, apart from the returned soldiers being replaced with 'crippled children' (yes that's what we were called) things were pretty much the same for twenty years or so. Daily we were wheeled out on the balcony to get the healing sun, sunburn was not uncommon nor of particular concern. I think I developed my good strong voice through yelling for nurses, no buzzers.
Fast forward 35 years later, waterbay will return to a private hospital, hopefully an unshared room with en-suite,buzzer and gourmet meals. I will have them best hip private health insurance can buy. A brand-new titanium hip, fit for wonder woman; hey I'll be nearly bionic hehehe ....it will last at least for the next 35 years or more. Wow. you've come a long way baby. So the answer is no I didn't get my limp in my car accident...that's a whole other story.
4 comments:
I am reading it!!!!
Glad to hear Alli
I read it too!
I've caught up at last..what a moving story..u just don't know people's journeys..and yours is really interesting...that Mark is a lucky husband!
Post a Comment